Sunday, April 12, 2009

The First Step

There is a Chinese proverb:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

My journey started last year.

After 20 years working full time for a large IT company I decided to reduce my hours and undertake a diploma in yoga teaching. The reactions ranged from Cool! to Are you crazy?.

I must admit, it's hard for me to think of myself as a yoga teacher. When I think yoga teacher I picture a person who is slim, strong, flexible. I'm none of those. I was overweight and unfit, and I actually gained weight last year! So, regaining my health and fitness is part of this journey.

Another part is trying to get that balance between work, study and life. I have been a workaholic all my life and trying to apply yogic principles to work is difficult for me. If I have a deadline to meet, the last thing on my mind is the karma yoga principle of doing the best that I can by the end of the day. Instead, I'm working late into the night to complete the work to ensure the client has a quality deliverable.

So, why am I setting up this blog? It's my thoughts and experiences on this journey to find myself. And just maybe, it'll spark some questions and discussion to help others.

And it all starts with this first step!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments for posts older than 14 days will not immediately display. These comments are reviewed before they are published for public display.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...